KAZAKHSTAN IS A LEADING TRADING PARTNER OF THE EU: A BRIDGE TO A STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP IN THE FIELD OF RAW MATERIALS AND RENEWABLE ENERGY
FOR THE 13TH YEAR IN A ROW, ASTANA HOSTED THE INTERNATIONAL MINING AND METALLURGY CONGRESS -ASTANA MINING & METALLURGY - AMM 2023, WHICH WAS ATTENDED BY 2,239 VISITORS FROM 23 COUNTRIES, INCLUDING AZERBAIJAN, BELGIUM, BRAZIL, GREAT BRITAIN, GERMANY, HOLLAND, GEORGIA, DENMARK, INDIA, KAZAKHSTAN, CANADA, CHINA, LUXEMBOURG, UAE, RUSSIA, SLOVAKIA, USA, TURKEY, UKRAINE, FINLAND, FRANCE, SWITZERLAND, JAPAN.
In total, within the framework of the Congress, 2 forums, 20 specialized sessions were held with the participation of representatives of the state apparatus, the first heads of large mining and metallurgical companies, business representatives, industry unions and world-famous experts. The speakers were 163 industry world-famous experts. 36 companies from 7 countries, such as Kazakhstan, China, Russia, the United States of America, Switzerland, France, Japan became exhibitors of the AMM exhibition. 72% (26 exhibiting companies) of the total number of participants are domestic companies, 10 companies are international participants. The exhibition was presented in an updated format, with a feature in the new arrangement of exhibition stands and an expanded exposition area. Kazzinc, KAZ Minerals, Micromine, LNDC, Hikvision, Swiss Tower Mills Minerals AG, SGS Kazakhstan and others presented their innovations and technological solutions at the stands. Borkit Safety, Grintec Magotteaux Ceramic Technology Co., KazRemma Service, Metso, Rajant Corporation, Baisal Group, Krasny Oktyabr Corporation and others acted as debutants.
It is important to note that the AMM Congress and Exhibition are held without the participation of public funds and bring real benefits to the development of the mining and metallurgical sector of Kazakhstan, providing an opportunity to implement new fresh solutions through the exchange of experience, best practices and ideas in the directions of digitalization of mining and processing, increasing the efficiency of production processes in the mining and metallurgical complex, replenishment of the mineral and resource base, in legal regulation and, most importantly, attracting foreign investment in the country’s actively developing industry.
Marat Karabayev, the Minister of Industry and Infrastructure Development of the Republic of Kazakhstan and Maros Shefchovich, the Vice President of the European Commission, took part in the Plenary session on the topic: Green technologies for the sustainable development of the MMC. At the meeting, they discussed the technologies of tomorrow, which will contribute to the minimization of the negative impact on the environment, and how to implement them in the industrial enterprises of the country. During the discussion, the following data were announced:
- At present, the MMC industry accounts for 8.7% of the country’s GDP; today MMC companies provide jobs for more than 166,000 people, which is almost a third of the number of industrial workers.
- As part of the execution of this instruction, the Ministry of Industry and Infrastructure Development of the Republic of Kazakhstan developed and adopted the Law “On Industrial Policy”, which includes the competence to develop and approve the rules for providing domestic raw materials to manufacturing enterprises on a voluntary basis.
- One of the significant directions on the way to carbon neutrality is the generation of “green” energy. As we know, almost 70% of electricity in Kazakhstan is generated by coal-fired power plants. To achieve the goal of generating clean energy, a Memorandum of Strategic Partnership on sustainable raw materials, batteries and green hydrogen value chains was signed between Kazakhstan and the European Union last year.
- Kazakhstan is not only the largest trading partner of the EU, accounting for over 30% of total trade in 2022, but also the largest foreign investor in this country with a total net foreign direct investment of more than 78 billion US dollars, representing 51% of total number.
- It is important to deepen the links between the EU and Kazakhstan by launching the implementation of the Memorandum of Understanding between the EU and Kazakhstan. This is facilitated by the “road map” of actions for 2023-2024, approved by Ursula von der Leyen, the President of the European Commission, and Alikhan Smailov, the Prime Minister of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- The importance of the Strategic Partnership between the EU and Kazakhstan in deepening our industrial integration in the fields of raw materials, batteries and renewable energy – identifying sustainable joint investment projects along the entire value chain.
- The Memorandum of Understanding between the Kazakhstan National Mining Company, Tau-Ken Samruk and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, with the assistance of the European Commission, aims to activate cooperation on the development and modernization of the mining sector in Kazakhstan and make it more attractive to investors.
- Partnership between Kazakhstan and the EU allows the implementation of industrial projects in areas such as sustainable exploration, production and processing of critical raw materials, bringing significant economic and social benefits to both parties.
The plenary session was also attended by Edson Ribeira, the President of CRISCO, Que Chaoyang, the Vice President of Zijing Mining, Sergey Stanovkin, the Head of representation of BBC World News in Eurasia, heads of sectoral ministries and representatives of major metallurgical companies.
The Congress program made it possible to discuss the most relevant topics at several platforms of the event. An absolutely new platform was the Amphitheater, where a large session on Kazakhstani-Canadian cooperation in the field of extraction and processing of natural resources was held. During the IV Coal Forum, organized in partnership with the Association of Mining and Metallurgical Enterprises, experts discussed opportunities for the development of the coal industry in a new energy paradigm. The DRAGMET Association held the Forum of Gold Producers for the IV time, dedicated to the topic: Introduction of market mechanisms for the development of the industry: exploration/production/sales.
As part of the AMM, CEO Talks strategic session was held. The first leaders of Kazakhstani mining and metallurgical companies answered questions about long-term strategies for the development of companies, greening and digitalization of production, as well as contribution to social development.
The schedule of the Congress also included a PR breakfast for the heads of PR departments of mining and metallurgical companies, a session on using environmental and socio-economic challenges as growth points for GR specialists, two Round tables “Human Resources and Social Responsibility” and “Current Environmental Issues”, sessions on improving legislation in the MMC, mining and geology, a session on digitalization of underground mining, a session on the effective implementation of Industry 4.0 elements in the MMC, sessions on critical minerals, a panel session with the ESG Club on the best examples of social responsibility and AMM Tech on innovation in the MMC.
For the first time, a socially important specialized session was held with the participation of veterans of the mining and metallurgical industry, where, in a relaxed atmosphere in the format of a lively dialogue, honored workers shared with the younger generation the secrets of their many years of fruitful work. For two days of the Congress, the Job Fair worked effectively, where young students - future workers in the MMC sector could get a job in the best companies in the industry. ERG (Eurasian Group), Kazakhmys, KAZ Minerals, ArcelorMittal Temirtau, Altynalmas presented their vacancies.
In order to develop partnerships and expand business, over 280 b2b and b2g meetings of subsoil user companies took place during the Congress.
By tradition, during the AMM days, the annual industry competition - Golden Hephaestus was held, where the best representatives in the mining and metallurgical sector were awarded for their professional merits by the decision of a competent independent jury. The competition was held in 15 nominations, three of which were absolutely new: “Professional of the Year. Enricher of the Year”, “Best Social Project of the Year”, “Mentor of the Year”. In total, in 2023, the jury considered more than 150 applications from 29 companies, 7 universities in Kazakhstan.
The event was organized by ITECA Kazakhstan Exhibition Company and its international partner - ICA Events Group of Companies.
State Partner: Ministry of Industry and Infrastructure Development of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Gold Partners: ERG, Kazzinc LLP, KAZ Minerals, ArcelorMittal Temirtau, Altynalmas, Tech Garden.
Silver Partners: Dassault Systemes, Hatch.
Bronze Partners: LNDC Kazakhstan, Metso, SGS Kazakhstan, Schneider Electric, Worley.
Official support: Akimat of Astana city, Republican Association of Mining and Metallurgical Enterprises, Republican Association of Precious Metals Manufacturers, National Chamber of Entrepreneurs of the Republic of Kazakhstan “Atameken”, Visit Astana.
- Created on .