The rewarding work of the 25th World Mining Congress held under the motto “Innovation excellence – step forward to mining growth” in the city of Astana from June 19th through June 21st 2018 has come to a close.
The Minister for Investments and Development of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Zhenis Kassymbek, delivered a speech during the plenary session of the Congress.
«In Kazakhstan, mining and metallurgical complex plays an important role in the national economic growth. This sector comes second in the economic structure of the country to the oil-and-gas industry. The rich mineral reserve base serves as a solid foundation for the development of the MMC. Thus, Kazakhstan is ranked number 6 in the world in respect of the natural reserves, number 10 in the overall volume of produced minerals (excluding oil and gas), and number 3 in the extraction of mineral resources per capita. The industry is represented in the global markets of copper, uranium, titanium, ferric allows and complex ores, and has a significant influence over the regional markets of iron, coal and aluminum», the Minister said
Mr. Kassymbek also highlighted another important initiative, namely, the introduction of the new Code on the subsoil and subsoil use that was adopted in the end of the last year and which aims at the transition to the Western-Australian model. The new Code has adopted the best international practices to provide transparent and coherent methods of the governmental regulation of the industry, access to the geological information, and harmonization of the national standards with the international ones. This document also serves to attract foreign investors, including junior enterprises, which, as the world’s practice shows, discover more than 60 % of new deposits.
The intensive agenda of the Congress has covered various matters of the geological exploration, extraction and enrichment, risk assessment, international fund-raising, and many other burning issues.
WMC 2018 in Facts and Figures:
- The 25th World Mining Congress has been attended by 2 588 Delegates, 1 047 companies from 50 countries as well as 368 authors-speakers representing 37 countries, 79 universities, and 58 Associations;
- 260 companies have presented their stands under the auspices of the exhibitions of Astana Mining & Metallurgy and MiningWorld Central Asia 2018;
- The highly topical Program of the WMC 2018 consisted of the Plenary Session and 21 technical workshops;
- This year World Mining Congress hosted more than 40 GDB and B2B meetings with the participation of the most senior officials of the Ministry for Investments and Development of the Republic of Kazakhstan, and numerous Kazakhstani and foreign mining, investing and servicing companies.
SIGNING OF A NUMBER OF COOPERATION MEMORANDUMS BY AND BETWEEN THE FOLLOWING ORGANIZATIONS HAS BECOME A VERY SIGNIFICANT EVENT OF THE CONGRESS:
1) by the Ministry for Investments and Development of the Republic of Kazakhstan and Federal state autonomous entity of the higher professional education “National Research and Technology University “MISIS”;
2) by AK Altynalmas JSC and Center of the Technological Development “IntelliSense – LAB;
3) by Metalysis Limited and AUTONOMOUS CLUSTER FUND “PARK OF INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGIES”;
4) by Kazgeology and СODELCO (Chili)
The list of the Congress speakers included many high-ranking persons:
- • Askar Mamin –Deputy Prime Minister of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
- • Alexander Mashkevich - the Chairman of the Board of Directors of Eurasian Resources Group S.à r.l.
- • Dean McPherson - Head of the Mining Sector of Toronto Stock Exchange (Canada);
- • James Matcher – Head of the Mining Activities, EY, Republic of South Africa
- • Zhenis Kassymbek – Minister for Investments and Development of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- • Michael Hitch – Professor of the University of New South Wales, Australia
- • Hua Guo – Research Department Director, CSIRO Energy, Australia, WMC 2021
- • Jukka Maksimainen – Manager of the Mining Sector of McKinsey & Company, and many other outstanding personalities.
THE PROGRAM OF THE WORLD MINING CONGRESS OFFERED SEVERAL INDUSTRIAL EXCURSIONS TO THE BELOW MINING OBJECTS:
- Vassilkovskoye gold ore field of Altyntau Kokshetau JSC
- Bozshakol copper mine of KazMinerals
- Shafts and metallurgical facilities of ArcelorMittal Temirtau JSC
World Mining Congress Post Show Report Download 3.7 mb pdf